1/2/13

Monotype: Katie

Katie 4x6 Monotype with Watercolor & Colored Pencil
 Sold
Happy New Year to you, with cleared studio space, clean brushes, a laundered apron, a list of ideas and freshly sorted art supplies!

At the bottom of this post, you'll see the progression of work in process (WIP) photos for the monotype - Katie - above.

You'll also see a snazzy award badge from Katherine Tyrrell of Making a Mark. I've been perky, twirling and grinnish since she sent a note to say I'd been awarded the The FAQs and Answers Really Useful Medal 2012 - as part of the Annual Making A Mark Art Blog Awards! (Hang on while I do a little jig.)

Here's a lovely description she wrote on the Award Page:


Sharing is a frame of mind - it's a mindset if you like.  You've either got it or you haven't.  If you've got it, sharing just seeps into everything you do!  Belinda del Pesco has got the sharing bug.  She takes photos of the various and different processes she uses for creating her artwork - in watercolours & printmaking - and posts the images with a narrative on her blog.  Thus not only do you see the finished artwork (which is pretty nice!) but you also get to learn how she did it.  She recommends what has helped her - whether that's art supplies, art books or art videos. Her emphasis is on her artwork rather than blogging - hence she only posts once or twice a week - however her posts are always high quality.  Plus she provides some ace quotes from other artists!


Artist and writer Katherine Tyrrell draws and writes about art for artists and art lovers
Making A Mark is #3 in the top 25 art blogs in the UK 
4,200+ subscribers and 1.8 million visitors and counting...... 

GO see her site if you've never visited, and consider bookmarking it for future reference.  Her blog is a virtual art-library of links and information. And be sure to check out the other awards, the winners, and previous years' recipients. Thanks, Katherine!

Pulling the monotype: the marks I made in the ink printed really well, and
there was enough ink left on the plate to pull a faint ghost print.
After this oil-based monotype was dry, I added watercolor and
colored pencil to get the image at the top of this post - Katie!

Wiping tone around in the background of the dog with a scrunched paper towel

Next up: oil based Graphic Chemical Intaglio ink in
Rennaissance Black. To be fair, I've used this ink a lot,
so I already know that I love the thick, buttery texture.

As you can see, it came off the plate very easily, and
preserved my marks made in the ink on the print.

The Akua ink cleared from the zinc plate quite easily,
and it felt slippery and loose to scrape into

I noticed immediately that it rolled on very loose
and less viscous than I'm accustomed to

Testing Akua Intaglio, since I normally use oil-based Intaglio for monotypes
I'm very honored to receive this award
from Making a Mark/Katherine Terrell

Art Quote
In an era of electronic communication, it is often forgotten that in the last quarter of the nineteenth century, illustrated books and periodicals were the only vehicle for bringing images of the world into American homes. Weekly magazines with serialized stories generated the same anticipation as a favorite weekly television program. Books by important authors were greeted with the same excitement as major motion pictures. New productions were enthusiastically reviewed, and illustrations hung next to paintings in the nation's most prestigious exhibitions. In the years following the civil war, it was not unusual for illustrators to enjoy financial success, widespread fame and a lifestyle of luxury...
Alice Carter - Red Rose Girls: an Uncommon Story of Art and Love

Thanks for stopping by!
Belinda



7 comments:

Cristiane Marino said...

Hello Belinda!

The painting is lovely, the expression of the eyes and the work you did with values are great!
Congratulations! You really deserved the award from Katherine! I admire you.
I visited the Making a Mark blog and loved it, thank you for sharing.
A Happy New Year to you and your family, with a lot of light and color!
Big Hug

Ken said...

I have used Akua inks, and like the way it handles for monotypes. My only complaint: the finished print doesn't seem to be completely waterproof compared to oil based inks. I am looking forward to your results. Love your work!

Nancy Goldman said...

Congratulations on your award Belinda. I agree that you are a very 'sharing' artist. I love visiting your blog to see your wonderful art and find out your secrets. : )

Belinda Del Pesco said...

@Cristiane - Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you like Katherine's site. I've subscribed for a number of years, and I always admire her posts - she writes with passion and has a healthy curiosity for all things art.

Belinda Del Pesco said...

@Ken - I've used Akuakolor for monotypes, but this was the first attempt to use the Akua Intaglio on a dark field/subtractive monotype. So far, I've had no problems going in with watercolor on the Akuakolor, but I haven't played with the Intaglio ink print yet. I'll post the results. Thanks for stopping by - I love YOUR work! :)

Belinda Del Pesco said...

@Nancy, Thanks for your visits and your compliment! I'm still smiling over receiving this award, and I especially love that I' in such good company (the previous winners are all wonderful). Paint on!

Barbara Muir said...

Love this and the quote. Beautiful.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox