3/19/13

Monotype: Plume Verte


Plume Verte 6x4 Monotype Ghost with watercolor
When I made the monotype of this portrait in 2006, I had enough ink on the zinc plate to pull three ghost prints, which is unusual with monotypes (for me). There's nothing incised on the plate in this form of printmaking. You're simply pushing pigment around (in this case, black, oil based etching ink) on a very smooth zinc plate. When you get the image you're aiming for, you take a deep breath, and press the still-wet pigments against a sheet of paper, and voila!, you have a monotype.  If there's enough ink left on the plate, you can place another sheet of paper against the ink, tighten the press, and push it through again. In this case, I did that three times.

You can see in the image at the bottom of this post that the last ghost was very faint, but there was just enough structure to have fun with watercolor glazing on top of the ghost print. It was a lovely time in my studio, and poignant, because it's the last print of this particular monotype of my gr-aunt Arzelia when she was sixteen. I'm betting I'll use the reference photo again, because I love it, but for now, and for this monotype ghost, she's the last one.
Glazing watercolor over the print


The last ghost print from a monotype I made in 2006



 

Art Quote
Art is a great expression of emotion which covers your attitude towards people & things. It can have no formulas, as it is a registration of reactions. Modern Art theory says art musn't look like anything at all & nothing is creative unless it comes from the inner conscious & technique is nothing. That's misleading to people. They ought to know how to draw, at least. I don't like to see a face with a nose three times too long & a neck out of joint just because the artists' mind happened to conjure it that way. 
~Colin Campbell Cooper 1925

Thanks for stopping by!
Belinda



Studio & Art happenings in between posts

4 comments:

dinahmow said...

ooh! I like this one, Belinda;especially the final ghost.Very reminiscent of old, faded Daguerrotypes.

Barbara Muir said...

Beautiful image Belinda. I like the quote, especially the part about rules. Picasso, whether you like him or not, would have upset this fellow.

Basic rules are like a trampoline -- they send us up there, but we have to jump again. We make that decision.

XO Barbara

Dan Kent said...

I love this portrait, and enjoyed hearing how you made this lucky third image.

John Brisson said...

It's great. Such an 'old fashion' look to it!

John