5/8/13

Reduction Woodcut: Carnelian

Carnelian 4x4 Reduction woodcut with watercolor & colored pencil
Available in my Etsy Shop
You can buy a lunch bag of 20 shina plywood scraps at McClain's Printmaking Supplies for about $5. They call it a grab bag, and it a party of potential when it arrives in the mail. I used one of those blocks to carve this little reduction woodcut. If you've never carved Shina, I'd recommend it. It's a cultivated & sustained tree in the Linden family (Tilia japonica) - grown on Hokkaido, the northern most island of Japan. It's a favorite among Japanese printmakers because it feels grainless, it's soft to cut, and yet it holds details and sharp edges through multiple prints without swelling or warping. The surface is already pre-sanded and ready to carve when the wood arrives, and McClain's has a variety of larger sizes available.

Petite square print
The block of shina wood I carved her from
Two colors of ink: cad red and dark olive green, ready for some watercolor action
The first pass through the press with cad red ink, before cutting more
of the wood away and printing again in a dark olive ink.

Rough sketch in pencil on the shina wood block
Watercolors & Printmaking at the Sierra Madre Art Fair
After back to back art festivals (San Diego Artwalk & Sierra Madre Art Fair) I've met a posse of new, fun, wonderful peeps. I don't have the words to describe the sort of Kind and Engaging and Lovely flavors of human I experienced in so many folks stopping by my booth at both festivals. 

A collector brought me a bouquet of sweet peas and tea roses from her garden. Another brought her greyhounds both days of the festival so my husband and I could soak up a little retired-racer-love (we lived with/adored greyhounds for 14 years). I saw friends I worked with in the corporate world, before I jumped into art as a livelihood, who are now parents, and I met & swooned for their little ones. I had animated conversations about all varieties of printmaking process, and how to make time for art in busy schedules, and how to get unstuck after years of no art-making, etc. I befriended bloggers and blog followers I've never met before. And I sold a lot of art. It was all very, very nice. 

In three weeks, I'll do one last art festival before the summer begins and I retreat into my studio for more art-making. The Thousand Oaks Artwalk is Saturday & Sunday, June 1 & 2 from 10:00 to 5:00 at 225 W. Hillcrest Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360. If you're in the area that weekend, do come and say hello so we can continue the exchange of arty ideas & camaraderie.

Thanks for stopping by!
Belinda

Art Quote
I've never done a perfect drawing. The cheapest camera installed at the gas station parking lot will collect a more accurate depiction that I can make. I think of Art like I think about baseball. Whether you win or lose - isn't it great to be playing baseball?! Even the best players only get on base one third of the time. The reason we're doing this is that as kids, we started drawing and felt happy. So now, we should still be happy doing it. The focus should be on the love of art-making. Joy is in the full deployment of our faculties.
Anthony Ryder ~ 2010 during a Drawing demo





7 comments:

Ellen Shipley said...

Love your little reduction woodcut! 8-]

Barbara Muir said...

Great image, lovely blog and super quote. True.

XOXOXOXO Barbara

Catharina Engberg said...

Loved reading your post. You´ve made a beautyful print and It must have been just awsom to have met all those people! Happy for you! Have a lovely weekend!

Belinda Del Pesco said...

@Ellen, Thanks for your comment. I think I carved and printed this one in the same season you were carving Will's baby hand, also in some sort of delicious orange. :)

Belinda Del Pesco said...

@Catharina, Thanks for your compliment - and yes, it was awesome to meet all those folks at the art festivals. This year's crowd was particularly art-engaged and chatty. :) Have a lovely weekend yourself!

Belinda Del Pesco said...

@Barbara, Thanks for your consistent presence, through travels and ills and papers to grade. You're the bees knees! xoxoxo

Dr Sock said...

Belinda, this is a lovely image. Thank-you for sharing the description off your reduction woodcut process.