11/19/13

Monotype: California Incline

California Incline 8.5x10.5 Monotype with colored pencil
A few months ago, I spent a Sunday afternoon goofing off with monotypes. It was great fun, and I want to encourage you to try it. 

I printed two sheets of thumbnails from landscapes snapped with my phone over the years from the passenger seat while driving around California (see my set up below). Start with something like that from your photos, and then take a sheet of mylar, and some Akua ink (or any ink/pigment on hand), and spontaneously, without a preconceived notion of what you'll produce, pick a photo, grab your brushes and start painting on the mylar. Give yourself just 5-10 minutes to quickly block in shape and color.    Don't get too fussy... just print it (if you don't have a press, use your hands or a baking pin), and then wipe the mylar and make another one. And repeat. And repeat.  If you make six or seven, you're bound to be pleased with one of them, or maybe you'll love ALL of them. At the very least, a little time playing with your art supplies, and loosening up your creative mojo is always a good thing.

The monotype above - California Incline - was one of the results from that Sunday in the studio.  I think I made 6 or 7 monotypes and it was terrific to loosen up for a few hours, and get ink under my nails. What do you do to loosen up?

The monotype, with a tint of colored pencil here and there.


California Incline monotype, fresh off the press and still wet (the pigments dried lighter than you see here).

Pulling the monotype. I have a sheet of mat board under the mylar
for extra squeeze under the press, and to make a more visible plate impression.

Thumbnail images of landscapes on the left, and a sheet of mylar on non-skid
for some fast, loose, juicy monotypes with Akua inks. My palette is a sheet of plexiglass.

Using tape to create a template on the press bed for the monotype plate, and the paper.

Art Quote
I must say I like bright colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones, and I am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. When I get to heaven I mean to spend a considerable portion of my first million years in painting, and so get to the bottom of the subject. But then I shall require a still gayer palette than I get here below. I expect orange and vermillion will be the darkest, dullest colors upon it, and beyond them, there will be a whole range of wonderful new colours which will delight the celestial eye. ~Winston Churchill

6 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Love California Incline, and the quote from Churchill. That would be my ideal too. Lots of colour.

XOXO Barbara

Catharina Engberg said...

Thanks for sharing!!

Coreopsis said...

Well, that certainly looks like fun! I haven't ever really made monotypes, or rather, back a million years ago when I tried them, I was pretty unsatisfied with the result. But I think I might give it a shot again.

I have come here to your blog via your Etsy Store, where I really like your prints.

It looks like you have a lot of exciting things going on in your studio.

Belinda Del Pesco said...

@barbara - if you and I could have met Churchill for lunch, we would have discussed color all the way to dessert. :)

Belinda Del Pesco said...

@catharina - thank YOU for visiting!

Belinda Del Pesco said...

@coreopsis - I'm glad you feel inspired to try monotypes again. In printmaking, they're fickle and head strong, so give yourself lots of room to experiment and get re-acquainted. :)